January 11, 2011 - Dia De Reyes y la vina de Senor

Hola!

I hope that everyone is having a great new year thus far! I want to wish Tanner a Happy Birthday!!

This week we celebrated Dia De Reyes with the Tristan Family. they are from Spain so its not exactly how they do it in Mexico but they said that it is pretty close. Dia De Reyes is a celebration of the Three Wise men coming to pay tribute to Jesus with their gifts. We ate the Tradition Pan(bread) that they eat. basically what it looks like is a huge doughnut with dried fruit on top and the one that we ate had a diameter of like a foot and a half so they are pretty big. You eat it by cutting it into slices and they dunking it in hot chocolate. its a sweet pan and it taste pretty good. I guess that eating the pan is kind of a game to because when they make it they hide little trinkets and then as well a baby Jesus, who ever get the baby Jesus get good luck or something like that.

This week we had a very unique opportunity. The scriptures talk about working in the vineyard of the Lord and this week we actually got to literally go and labor in the Lord's vineyard. Our ward had an assignment to go Prune the grape vines. It was pretty cool to be out there with all the members of our ward that do this for a living they were able to tell us alot about how they do it and teach us individually how to prune grape vines it was really unique. I saw how the cultures really are different between the english wards and the Spanish branch. There were lots of English wards up there and they got there and just went straight to work they didn't really talk or interact much but then we had our branch there in the middle talking back and forth yelling up and down the line. Then we got to the middle of the line and stop and took breakfast just like they would do if they were working working. President Fernandez and his wife had made tortas(its like a huge roll you cut it open then put re fried beans and scrambled eggs in it. you can also do the same thing with meat cut it up and season then just eat it like a sandwich its really good) for us. We had a fire there and hot chocolate and even with the break it took the same amount of time as the other ward it was really nice to be part of that type of group.

This week is going to be a little bit different then other weeks. Elder Pinnock and I are I guess like fill in elders where ever they need us so we are going on a 4 day exchange with the district leaders companions while they go to specialized training. I'll be here in Tulare until Friday then I'll go back to Porterville. The international offices should be opening back up now that Dia De Reyes is over so Salt Lake is saying that the visas should come sometime soon. Well that's about it for this week. I hope that everyone has a great week this week! May God lead and guide you through this next week.

Love Always!

Elder Langley

No comments:

Post a Comment